Dodds, George

Sergeant, 289

On the evening of Wednesday, 17th February, 1858 a Constable arrested John Rutledge at the Star of the West Hotel, Belfast, for being drunk and disorderly. He resisted, and struck the policeman, who called on Sergeant Dodds for assistance. The two officers then subdued him and started to lead him back to the Watch House. As they walked along Sackville Street the prisoner took a bowie knife from his pocket and stabbed Dodds in the abdomen. Rutledge was charged with wounding the Sergeant, and was tried at the Belfast General Sessions on the 12th May, 1858. He was found not guilty on the grounds of insanity, and was committed to the Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum. Sergeant Dodds never recovered from the injury, and his condition steadily declined. He died on the 18th August, 1859 almost 12 months after his assailant had been pronounced 'no longer insane' and released from custody.


Moylette, Henry Patrick

Constable, 930

On the 12th November 1859, Senior Constable Moylette was returning from the Brittania Goldfield to the Emerald Police Station when he became lost in the bush. Despite an intensive search he was never located, although his troop horse and items of equipment were found where he had abandoned them in the bush.


Rendell, Walter

Constable, 1104

Between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. on the 26th April 1859, Detective Rendell went to the lighter "Pauline", which was moored in the Yarra River, and search it for stolen property. A quantity of stolen goods was located, and the lighter's master, Morey Tucker, was taken into custody. He and the Detective left the vessel together, and as they crossed the gang plank to the wharf Rendell fell into the water and was drowned. Tucker used this opportunity to flee the scene, and was arrested in Richmond the following day. The circumstances surrounding Rendell's death were at first thought to be highly suspicious, as the Detective was a strong swimmer and there was bruising on the body apparently inflicted just before his death. However there were no witnesses to the event, and a later inquest returned a verdict of "accidental death".